Search This Blog

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Videos and QR Codes in the Library


This week's post examines how some libraries have used videos and YouTube for instruction and promotion. When I began my library science graduate program, I knew I was going to have to learn some new technologies. And I have. But not in the way I anticipated! I thought I would have to create a database and of course, I knew I'd have to learn cataloging. I did NOT anticipate learning how to use social media and web 2.0 tools as part of my master's program! But I'm so glad it is!

Add caption
One exciting way to use videos in the library is to create book trailers for titles you want to promote. One of the most interesting nonfiction titles I've read this past year is by Susan Bartoletti called Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow. Read the synopsis of this fascinating but chilling study of how peer pressure and propaganda were used in WWII Germany here.

I created a book trailer of Hitler Youth in Animoto, which offers free accounts for educators. It's really easy to use and there's a bonus: educators can create 2 minute videos to use in the classroom free of charge! You will have to renew your membership every year, but that's a very small inconvenience.





To see my video on YouTube, capture my QR Code here.






Want to see how librarians across the country are using videos in their libraries? Just scroll on down. There's a wealth of creativity out there!

Norman High School

Norman High School's video channel offers a good selection of instructional and promotional library videos which demonstrate how librarians can use YouTube in their libraries. The first video is a screencast which explains how to use the EBSCO databases for research. The idea is great, which is why I included it in my examples; however, the display is small and hard to read. Which brings to light what librarians should avoid when creating screencasts.






But students are sure to enjoy this playful video of the school mascot navigating the library. And it could also be used to introduce new students to some of the areas of the library in a clever manner.



The Unquiet Library

The Unquiet Library channel has a wealth of examples that show how a librarian can use videos to provide instruction. I had a hard time choosing a favorite, but I think the screencast that teaches students how to search and use Wikimedia Commons images is extremely valuable. The librarian does an excellent job of explaining how to find copyright friendly images, which is a critical element for research and informational literacy instruction.





I also enjoyed the video of the library going to the students in the cafeteria. It's such a great idea!







Pikesville High School

 


Pikesville HS has literally dozens of videos on their channel. One is quite helpful for registration but my favorite is one students made with the librarian to honor hip-hop music for Black History Month. This is a seriously FUN librarian!










Check her out in this video....









Bonnie Branch Middle School



This channel features many student created videos that are terrific examples of how students can create videos as evidence of learning and also how videos can engage students in the library program.




















3 comments:

  1. Martha, I really enjoyed your blog post and all the information you included about the different YouTube channels. I agree with your sentiment from the first paragraph-- who knew that technology would encompass so much of the MLS degree plan and our jobs as librarians??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your book trailer. I used the same videos as you did with Norman High School Library Channel. Seems to be that way with a few of us. Keep up the great work!
    Jennifer Dalen

    ReplyDelete

My First Flipogram.